It has almost gone overlooked, but Office 2010 and SharePoint 2010 are not the only products to get a Service Pack 1 release today. I know that the Office Web Apps are a bolt on to SharePoint 2010 and so they don’t get a whole lot of attention, but from an end user feature enhancement perspective, I am almost more excited about the Office Web Apps SP1 than anything else released today (Office 365 not withstanding).
Sourced directly from Microsoft’s KB2460073:
Overview of Office Web Apps SP1 improvements
All Office Web Apps
- OpenDocument Format (ODF) support:
Lets you view and edit ODF documents in Office Web Apps.
- Lets you use Office Web Apps with the Google Chrome browser.
- Outlook Web App document attachment viewing (for Exchange Online only):
Lets you view Office document attachments in the browser directly from Outlook Web App.
- Lets you use Office Web Apps with Internet Explorer 9 in Native mode.
Word Web App
Lets you print Word documents from Edit mode (in addition to View mode).
Excel Web App
- Added a Close button.
- Lets you insert charts in Excel Web App.
- Lets you copy and paste values and formulas by dragging the fill handle.
PowerPoint Web App
- Lets you print presentations from PowerPoint Web App.
- Lets you edit text in more shapes, not just placeholder shapes.
- Lets you insert clip art in PowerPoint Web App. (By default clip art support is disabled. An administrator can decide to enable it.)
It is important to keep in mind that Microsoft has already released the June 2011 Cumulative Updates that contain security patches important enough to be released simultaneously with these Service Packs, so be sure to install that as well.
Also, Microsoft has already released a list of known issues when installing Service Pack 1. The Office Web Apps specific item,sourced directly from Microsoft’s KB2532126, is:
- If Office Web Apps will be used in a mixed version environment, where Office Web Apps has SP1-or-later applied while SharePoint Server 2010 remains on the RTM version, you must install the following two updates before you install SP1 for Office Web Apps:
Here are the download links:
Service Pack 1 for Microsoft Office Web Apps 2010 (KB2460073)
Downloadable list of issues that the service pack fixes
SharePoint Foundation 2010 June 2011 CU (UPDATED)